Lakeside Bank "Write On!" Creative Writing Challenge
Overview of Scholarship & Description:
Lakeside Bank is pleased to offer a $2,500 scholarship to deserving CPS HS Seniors in good standing who have been accepted to an accredited two or four-year college in the Fall of 2019 and can demonstrate financial need. Applicants need to write a 750 – 1,000-word short story that weaves in Lakeside Bank’s tagline, “It’s About Time.” This does not mean simply using the words, but incorporating the concept into your story. Your ideas may be science fiction, social issues, history, art, family…the possibilities are endless! Winners will be selected by a Lakeside Bank Scholarship Committee, and stories will be judged on creativity, the ability to move us, and how well the theme “It’s About Time” is integrated. If you think you can make us laugh, cry, angry, hopeful…… start writing!
Informational Sheet: View Here
CHICAGO PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS MUST LOG-IN & APPLY VIA ACADEMIC WORKS ONLY
Need Help logging-in to Academic Works? Check out the Academic Works User Comprehension Guide for assistance with your application.
Do you attend a CPS Charter School? Click Here to Complete the Electronic Application
- 2019 graduating CPS high school senior in good standing (no GPA requirements)
- Have a FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0
- Applicant must be accepted at an accredited two or four-year college for the Fall 2019 term
How will stories be judged? Winners will be selected by the Lakeside Bank Scholarship Committee, based on an objective and non-discriminatory review. Age, gender, race, grades … none of that matters.
The Committee will score all entries on:
- Your ability to move us. Make us laugh, cry, think.
- Story structure. Is the tale well told? Is the language clear? Is the grammar correct?
- How well you integrate the “It’s About Time” theme into your story idea.
A completed application consists of…
- Confirmation you are a CPS high school senior, graduating June 2019
- Your essay of 750-1,000 words
- Proof of fall 2019 acceptance to an accredited 2 or 4 year college or university
FASFA or Student Aid Report (Proof of Household Income is required for DREAMer Students ONLY)
IT IS MANDATORY FOR ALL STUDENTS TO SUBMIT YOUR FAFSA STUDENT AID REPORT (SAR) AND EFC NUMBER IN THE SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS BELOW.
DREAMer Students: Please complete the “Proof of Household Income” question below and ignore the FAFSA questions.
A DREAmer is a non-U.S. citizen or permanent resident high school student who qualifies for in-state college tuition under Illinois’ HB-60 State Legislation and who will benefit from the Illinois DREAM Act, a provision that supports children of immigrants in Illinois signed by Illinois Governor Pat Quinn in 2011.
Open to DREAMers: Yes
Questions? Contact the CPS Scholarship Manager via email at CollegeScholarships@cps.edu OR the Lakeside Bank Contest Coordinator at CPScontest@lakesidebank.com.