Melissa Arnold Scholarship (For Lake View High School Only)
Melissa Finney Arnold was a dedicated teacher and taught in Chicago Public Schools for over 22 years. She was a graduate of Northern Illinois University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education. She first taught high school at DuSable High School in 1974 and taught there until she came to Lake View High School in 1985. She taught Art, Architectural Appreciation and Architectural Drafting (CAD – Computer Aided Design). She was very interested in architecture, and at Lake View, she entered some of her students in the Chicago Architecture Foundation’s Newhouse Competition, a competition that continues to this day. She also looked after such activities as Prom. April 2016 marks twenty years since Melissa was last present and teaching at Lake View before her health condition prevented her from continuing. Melissa passed away in October of 1996. With these Lake View scholarships, Melissa’s memory will live on among students of Lake View. The Melissa Arnold Scholarship will award EIGHT $500.00 scholarships to Lake View seniors who meet the criteria.
- Must be a high school senior and attend Lake View High School
- Must posses a 3.0 unweighted GPA or higher
- Must submit an essay on the topic below (300-word minimum, 500-word maximum)
- Must provide proof of acceptance to the college they plan to attend
- Must demonstrate financial need (A copy of your SAR or award letter and/or letter explaining special circumstances)
Essay Topic: Please answer the questions below in an essay format. Respond to ONE of the following prompts.
All essays must be typed, size 12 Times New Roman font, double-spaced, and a minimum 300 words, maximum 500 words.
Your Future Career (make sure to answer all questions in full):
(1) What career or path do you hope to be pursuing in June 2021?
(2) How have your learning experiences (both in the classroom and extracurricular) with teachers and courses at Lake View helped you dream about your future, give an example or two?
(3) How do you think the college you plan to attend will help you get to where you want to be in 2021?
Open to DREAMers: Yes