Patricia Loyd Handy Educational Scholarship
Organization & Scholarship Overview:
The Patricia Loyd Handy Educational Scholarship was established in 2007 to honor the first Treasurer of the New Kemet Harambe Chapter, chartered in 2001, and her outstanding mentorship to young students by encouraging them to strive for academic excellence, to be diligent in achieving their personal goals and to always aim for success in whatever they endeavored to do. The New Kemet Harambe Chapter of Blacks In Government® promotes its awareness as a professional organization and its community outreach efforts by establishing a $500.00 scholarship to provide financial support to deserving Chicago metropolitan area 12th grade high school students and college freshmen students who desire to excel in their educational career.
Website: New Kemet Harambe Chapter (NKHC), Blacks In Government
Application: Download Here
Informational Flyer: View Here
- Must be a high school graduating senior or a college freshman
- Must have a 3.0 cumulative unweighted grade point average (GPA) based on a 4.0 GPA scale
- Must have at least 20 hours of community service
- Submit a clear photocopy of a valid school identification
- Submit your official school transcript
- Submit one (1) letter of recommendation from a school official (counselor, teacher, Dean of Students)
- Submit a 500-word (not to exceed 2 pages), double-spaced, typed essay on the topic:
“How important is the 2020 millennial vote and what can be done to encourage more participation?"
Please submit the completed 2019 Educational Scholarship Application along with all required documents via email to Ward.AnthonyL@epa.gov for consideration. All information will be kept confidential. Remember: The completed application and other required documents must be submitted (or postmarked, if sending via USPS mail) by close of business on Friday, October 18, 2019.
Open to DREAMers: No
Renewable: Recipients must wait two consecutive years before they are eligible to re-apply.
If you have questions about this competition, please direct them to: Tony Ward, NKH Chapter 2nd Vice President.