Gamma Phi Omega Sorority Inc. Swan Scholarship
Organization & Scholarship Description:
Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority, Inc. is a Latina oriented organization founded in 1991 at Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana. In 1993 Gamma Phi Omega expanded to, the University of Illinois at Chicago, since our establishment, we have committed ourselves to empower and support women through their academic endeavors and life-long dreams. We are passionate about our number one founding goal, academic excellence, and we believe in the power of scholarship and mentorship. This organization was created to unite all Latinas who are on the same journey towards higher education and provide them with the resources and support necessary to succeed. The Swan Scholarship is a $1,000 award given to an undergraduate Latina student attending UIC for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. It is designed to cover tuition and fees. All female students are welcomed to apply regardless of residential status and academic level. This is a two-part scholarship, distributed evenly between the upcoming Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.
Website: Gamma Phi Omega International Sorority, Inc.
Application: Access Here
- Must be of Latina Descent (regardless of residential status)
- Must be a full-time student (12+ credit hours) at UIC during the upcoming 2020-2021 school year.
- Must have and maintain a 3.0 GPA (official transcripts required)
- Professional Resume
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation with official letterheads must be sealed and signed
a) One (1) Academic (from a professor, teacher, advisor, etc.)
b) One (1) Personal (from someone who is not directly related to you, but knows you long enough who will speak upon your character, etc.)
Award letter (if this does not apply to you, put “N/A” on the Financial Information section of the Google Form application)
Personal statement – MAX 500 words (Show yourself off! Tell us about yourself, your goals, life experiences, etc.)
TWO (2) Additional Essays (250 words MIN; 500 words MAX):
1) Please tell us why you are applying for this scholarship. Please be clear about how this scholarship will help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
2) Choose One: a) What are your career goals, and how will earning a college degree from UIC help you achieve those goals? b) What is, will be, the most challenging aspect of attending college for you? What have you done, or will do, to overcome that challenge?
- Deadline: May 4, 2020 AT 11:59 PM (ALL applications AND required documents must be received by this date) *ALL physical documentation (official transcripts, letters of recommendation, resume, and UIC award letter) should be sent to the address given at the end of this application, special arrangements can be made.
- Recipient will be notified by May 18th, 2020; if any complications are to come up with recipient, the runner up will be notified as soon as possible.
- Scholarship Disbursement: Fall 2020 ($500) and Spring 2021 ($500)
Open to DREAMers: Yes
Renewable: This is a two-part scholarship, distributed evenly between the upcoming Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters.
Questions? contact our Swan Scholarship Chair in charge: Sara Valdivia via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 773-412-9064