Give Something Back - Illinois Scholarship
Organization & Scholarship Overview:
Give Something Back provides mentors and scholarships to help Pell Grant eligible students go to college and graduate in four years. Give Back scholars are lower-income (Pell Grant eligible), academically driven students who have faced adversity. Many are working-class kids who live below the poverty line. Most are first-generation college students. Some have incarcerated parents and others are growing up in the foster system. We select scholarship recipients early— in the ninth grade —in order to prepare them for college. Our scholars are held accountable. They are required to have a minimum 3.0 GPA in high school, take a college preparatory course load, and demonstrate strong character throughout the program. Our scholars attend one of our partner colleges. Tuition, fees and room and board are covered.
Website: Give Something Back Illinois
MANDATORY Online Session: View Here
TARGET GROUP – HIGH SCHOOL FRESHMAN (9th Grade)
- Applicant must be a resident of the State of Illinois
- Students must show that they can meet a GPA standard of 3.0
- Applicants must complete the Giveback Eligibility Calculator (GEC).This is the tool we use to help families understand whether or not they are Pell Grant eligible.
- Participate in the online information sessions and at least initial stages of the application process before determining on their own if they are eligible (linked above)
- Attend one of the Application Night Sessions in January 2020 (Applications will be made available at the Sessions) – if you cannot attend a session then please watch your email for information on completing the application
- Household financial information (tax returns)
Grade reports (current and 2 previous years)
Reference letters (one school reference and one personal, out of school reference)
- Additionally, if you have any of the special circumstances that we look for (homelessness, foster care, incarcerated parent), please prepare to provide documentation of those circumstances
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-834-8400