Ora Lee Sanders Scholarship
Organization & Scholarship Overview:
The Ora Lee Sanders Scholarship is awarded to students who are majoring in any college-approved major, achieve academic success, and play an active role in their communities. Scholarships are given in honor of Ms. Ora Lee Sanders, an educator who believed that all children should have the opportunity to attend college regardless of having a high grade point average and/or test scores. The Ora Lee Sanders Scholarship is a $2,500.00 award and may be renewed depending on the student’s ability to maintain a 2.5 GPA and depending on the student’s undergraduate status (not including a collegiate status of 5 years or more). The award will be paid directly to the college or university the student will be attending. (This scholarship is sponsored through PUSH Excel by various sponsors)
Website: The PUSH Excel Scholarship Program
Application: Access Here
Please Note: The deadline has been EXTENDED to Monday, August 31, 2020.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited, four-year-degree, undergraduate program at a college or university in the U.S. by August 2020.
- Must be entering freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year (but not 5th year or greater).
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
- Must demonstrate academic preparation to attend college and succeed.
- Must demonstrate the ability to overcome obstacles to achieve academic and personal goals.
- Must become a Student Member of RainbowPUSH if selected as a scholarship recipient. (Click here to Become A Member)
- Official transcript. (May be mailed by applicant or school)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (cannot include a family member).
- Proof of current enrollment or acceptance to accredited college/university in the United States (course schedule/admission letter, if applicable).
- Evidence of service learning (Must indicate any school-based extracurricular involvement and/or community-service involvement).
- Must submit a minimum 500-word essay. The required essay must address the following:
(1) Identify five (5) prerequisites for success and explain in detail your personal philosophy for the pursuit of excellence.
(2) Explain the obstacles or hardships you had to overcome on your journey to achieve academic success.
(3) Finally, explain how you will use your college education to achieve your personal goals and pursue excellence.
Application and supporting documents (excluding official transcript) must be submitted online.
Official transcript may be mailed by applicant or school on or by 5PM, April 15, 2020 to:
ATTN: Jason Robinson
930 E. 50th Street
Chicago, Illinois 60615
Open to DREAMers: No
Renewable: Yes, depending on the student’s ability to maintain a 2.5 GPA and depending on the student’s undergraduate status (not including a collegiate status of 5 years or more). Complete the Online application to renew each year.
Contact Information: Visit Contact Us or call (773) 256-2700