Mary E. Smith Foundation - The Karen Lewis CTU Excellence in Science Award
Created in honor of Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis, this one time scholarship, in an amount up to $2,500, will be awarded to one or two (2) successful Chicago Public School (CPS) candidates annually. Amount of award will be paid directly to the student’s school if for tuition, or directly to the recipient to assist with living expenses, books, travel, etc.
Students should simultaneously apply for the Excellence in Science & Medicine Award. If the student is a brain tumor patient/survivor or closely related to someone diagnosed with a brain tumor, they may simultaneously apply for the Excellence in Academics & Community Service Award. The later award limits relationships to spouse, biological children, biological parents, and biological siblings.
Website: Mary E. Smith Foundation Scholarships
Application: Download Here
- Must be a brain tumor patient/survivor or closely related to someone diagnosed with a brain tumor. Relationships are limited to spouse, biological children, biological parents, biological siblings.
- Must be a current student or graduate of a Chicago Public School (CPS)
- Must be entering or currently enrolled in an advanced educational program within the health sciences (including biology, chemistry, nursing, etc.)
- Pursuing a technical certification, associate or bachelor level degree; with an emphasis in science and/or screening and research in the areas of oncology or neurology (including neuroscience, neurosurgery, and neuropathology) at a college or four-year university within the fifty United States or District of Columbia.
- Must have a weighted GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or 4.0 on a 5.0 scale
ACT of 21 or SAT of 1000
- Demonstrate strong leadership and service in their community.
- Completed application packet
Essay response (1,500 words max) to the following question: “May E. Smith (M.O.M.) Foundation, Inc./Memories of Mary has taken positive stands on important issues affecting the community and takes pride in working for the betterment of all people. Select a current issue important to you and discuss how your education will allow you to make an impact on that issue.”
- One (1) letter of recommendation provided by your School Counselor, Principal, Professor/Teacher or President/Dean of College
Open to DREAMers: No
Contact Information: Tiffany Woodson, email: email@example.com