Japanese American Service Committee (JASC) Scholarship
Organization & Scholarship Overview:
Japanese culture and tradition place great value upon education. It is a value that has become firmly rooted in the heritage of Japanese Americans and the mission of the JASC. Service to our community and others is an integral part of the JASC. Without it, education becomes an impersonal intellectual exercise instead of a tool to improve ourselves and our world. The JASC believes that an important part of a good education is learning both the value and enjoyment that comes from civic, charitable and community activities and participation. As a part of its efforts to preserve and promote our Japanese heritage and to advance the commitment to community service, the JASC administers an annual scholarship program to support members of the Japanese American community to pursue education beyond high school. These JASC scholarships are intended to provide financial assistance to promising students who have demonstrated both academic excellence and service to the Japanese American community.
Website: 2021 JASC Scholarships
Application: Download Here
- Applicants’ family or applicants themselves must have a current JASC membership.
- Applicants must be enrolled on a full or part-time basis in an accredited school of advanced learning within the 2021-22 academic year.
- Applicants need not be of Japanese ancestry and need not be a citizen of the United States.
- Applicants must submit a written application, meet the criteria listed below, and a sealed current transcript from their high school or college/university.
- Awards are distributed to the student upon the applicant providing JASC with proof of enrollment at an accredited school of advanced learning.
- Past recipients of scholarship awards are not eligible to apply.
- Grades, Coursework: Submit current transcripts from your educational institution.
Extracurricular Activities: Level or degree of the applicant’s participation, length of time the applicant has been involved in the activity, leadership, and accomplishments in the activity, etc.
Community Service: Service to Japanese American organizations, level of participation, level of involvement
Essay: A one-page essay on either of the following topics:
a) How can JASC be relevant to the applicant’s life? or,
b) How has the JASC contributed to the applicant’s sense of self or personal growth?
c) How do you anticipate participation in JASC in the future?
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from each of the following:
a) A teacher/professor from applicant’s school; and
b) An adult familiar with the applicant’s service and participation in the Japanese American community
- Completed JASC 2021 Scholarship Application
Deadline: All completed application materials and transcript must be submitted by 5:00 PM, April 29, 2021, to the:
- Japanese American Service Committee,
4427 North Clark Street,
Chicago, Illinois 60640
Open to DREAMers: Yes
Contact Information: Joan Ambo, tel: 773-275-0097 ext. 228, email: email@example.com