Organization & Scholarship Overview:
OPALGA+ recognizes that young people in the LGBTQ+ community face unique challenges in high school, college, and trade school programs. We are committed to providing support for the next generation of activists and leaders who are self-identified members of the LGBTQ+ community from Oak Park and surrounding areas. In 2021 we awarded $25,000 in scholarships. Scholarship awards in a given year depend on the success of our fundraising.
Website: OPALGA+ Scholarship
Application: Access Here
Reference Form: Download Here
Identify as an LGBTQ+ person or be the child of an LGBTQ+* person or an ally*
*For purposes of this application, LGBTQ+ includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, non-binary, genderqueer, and other gender non-conforming people.
- Be a graduating high school senior or completing your first year in higher education and planning to enter the second year. Preference will be given to candidates graduating high school and to those who have not previously been awarded an OPALGA+ scholarship
- Reside in one of the following suburbs: Oak Park, River Forest, Berwyn, Cicero, Elmwood Park, Forest Park, Maywood, Melrose Park, Broadview, Brookfield, North Riverside, Riverside OR the Chicago zip codes 60707, 60623, 60624, 60639, 60644, or 60651 (Austin, Galewood, North Lawndale, West Garfield Park, and parts of Belmont Cragin, Hermosa, Humboldt Park, and Montclare).
- Have applied or been accepted to a 4-year or 2-year degree program or trade school/certificate program
- A completed scholarship application
- An essay (see guidelines)
- At least two (2) letters of recommendation from qualified professionals (teachers, advisors, supervisors, organization moderators, volunteer directors, etc.) with direct first-hand knowledge of the applicant and their service to the LGBTQ+ community or the larger community
Open to DREAMers: Yes
Questions? Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org