Just the Beginning - A Pipeline Organization: Summer Legal Institute
The Summer Legal Institute (SLI) is a ten-day legal immersion hosted by The John Marshall Law School (315 S. Plymouth Court) in Chicago. The SLI provides fun and educational day programming. The program is FREE to all students, with public transportation passes available to students who express a need. Housing is not available; students travelling from a distance further than the metro area are required to arrange for their own housing.
Students who participate in the SLI will:
- Study the legal system and how it works alongside attorney and judge volunteers;
- Build leadership and teamwork skills;
- Analyze selected cases, debate legal issues and participate in both a mock trial and an oral argument;
- Learn what it takes to become a lawyer and observe the action at law firms and courthouses;
- Develop contacts with legal professionals and organizations that provide scholarships, internships and mentors; and
- Gain insight into the college admissions process and financial aid resources.
Recognizing that the involvement of adult role models is critical to a student’s educational success, parents/guardians/mentors will learn the steps involved in helping students navigate the process of taking standardized tests, applying to college, exploring financial aid and working toward the ultimate goal of attending law school at the closing ceremony on Saturday, August 8, 2015.
SLI is Monday, July 27, 2015 – Saturday, August 8, 2015
Website: Just The Beginning Foundation Summer Leadership Legal Institute
Open to DREAMers: Unknown